Project: CNH-IVECO Parts & Services Support for learning and change processes in the area of marketing and sales Region: EMEA Sector: Automotive
After lengthy market research, the HR manager approached EUTAS in 2012 based on recommendations. A learning and change process was required as follows:
- In 12 different markets, with priority attached to F,D,A,CH, I, ES, UK, the Parts Sales Managers (PSM) and in some cases KAM were to be trained to develop results-oriented market penetration and a customer care operation for Case & New Holland (CNH), as well as later for IVECO retail partners.
- Using existing systems and a centrally controlled organisation, a higher level of efficiency was to be achieved in the medium term in the value creation chain in the area of marketing and sales.
- Liaison competence in the various retail structures was to be enhanced throughout Europe - starting with an individual, situation-based approach to the relevant local decision-makers in the area of parts and services.
- Support in restructuring the marketing area from a "sell-in" to a locally based "sell-out" approach
Approach and learning process
After a detailed analysis phase taking account of all marketing and sales functions, travel escort of 2 - 3 PSMs per country, dealer visits and customer interviews, the first individually tailored learning and change processes were developed and implemented for CNH within 14 months. For this purpose, five trainers were deployed for approx. 8 - 12 participants per group, delivering two modules of 2.5 days each in the relevant national languages. In addition, the sales managers were provided with initial training and support for their role as coaches. An ongoing system of reporting (i.e. progress monitoring) from the project team to the CEO EMEA ensured not just the quality of the learning process but also adaptation of the content to match the given situation. Structural and process-oriented changes were addressed in feedback loops and accounted for accordingly.
After successful implementation of the two modules and supplementary coaching sessions, it was possible to achieve a high level of motivation among the varied team and focus them on the main premises for advancing the sell-out approach in the market.
- Use of market and customer data
- Development of clear, results-oriented sales and marketing measures in collaboration with contact partners in retail
- Establishment of a parts and services sales force in retail as a foremost priority
- Understanding and development of prospecting processes and initial activities for new customer acquisition as well as generation of loyalty among existing customers
- A sense of satisfaction in the role of the driver in spite of short-term success expectations as applicable to a large-scale publicly listed corporation such as CNH industrial.
As far as EUTAS was concerned, this development process led not least to an expansion of its own sphere of influence and recognised areas of expertise to include the now integrated IVECO Truck & Bus retail organisation Parts & Services. Here the partnership with the EMEA team for this special target group of PSMs, KAMs, marketing and sales managers is faced with even greater challenges in a similar learning and change process. The partnership between EUTAS and CNH Industrial is to be continued in 2015/16 in the area of management and team training.